Map of Shelter Island in 1855
© 2013 Patricia and Edward Shillingburg
This map of Shelter Island is taken from the U.S. Coastal Survey Map of 1855. Sachem’s Neck is the lower right pennisula of the Island which is now called Mashomack Preserve. Squares represent buildings. Fields are contained in imagined hedge rows. Spotted areas represent grazing land, good for sheep. Areas that were too low for cultivation look like forests. The only two roads on the Island run north-south from South Ferry to the Old Ferry (at Crescent Beach) and from the highway north to Squire Chase’s wharf at the Place Called Prospect (now called New York Avenue). The church and school were in the center where they are now.